Lets start at the beginning. You may have an idea for a video but don’t really know where to start, the whole process may seem daunting to you. Questions may be going round your head What will it look like? What will be in it? How long will it take?
I know from experience that one of the most overlooked parts of any video production is ‘concept development' . Often you want to get a video project out quickly and will be in a rush to start and all development and planning will go out of the window. This could mean that you end up with a half cooked idea that has not been well thought through and developed.
So what is involved in concept development? There are many steps we must go through at the first stage to ensure a production runs smoothly.
The first step in any project is to look at ultimately what needs be achieved with the video. This is where you can then start to develop you concepts in greater detail.
Here are a few things to think about to get you started with developing your video concepts
- Write a brief description of the videos you want to make
- Find a purpose
- Nail your communication objective
- Profile your target audience
- Assess what elements will be included (interviews, animation etc..)
- Create a strong Call to Action
- Work out how much you are willing to spend or how much time you need
- Set a deadline and stick to it!
- What does success for this project look like?
- What is your marketing and distribution plan?
As you can see there are many areas to be looked at within the development stage of video production. The answers to these questions will give you a good idea of what you want from a project and help the project run smoother ending up with video content that will ultimately achieve results!